ISHR is an independent, non-profit organization with offices in Geneva and New York. This internship offers a unique opportunity to view the United Nations human rights system at work. It provides hands-on experience working for an international non-governmental organization (NGO) as well as the opportunity to contribute to our work supporting human rights defenders, strengthening human rights systems, building and leading human rights coalitions, and responding to significant and systemic human rights concern. For more information, consult our website www.ishr.ch.
The Communications Assistant will apply and develop a range of communications skills through practical exposure to the daily activities of a human rights NGO.
Responsibilities and duties may include:
- Website: Assist with content migration: content entry for main copy, SEO related items, video, images, diagrams and graphics, assign tags, etc. Assist in creating new pages.
- Drafting, editing, publishing online articles on human rights issues
- Photography sourcing, editing and publishing
- Video production, editing and publishing
- Production of publications and marketing materials
- Graphic design: creation of invitations, social media assets, etc.
- Event planning, coordination and management (online or physical events)
- 10-15% of administrative tasks
The applicant will also be required to perform the following:
- Database management
- Administration support to the communications team
- Translation and proofreading
Degree or diplomas in the field of communication, marketing, graphic design or similar.
Excellent written and oral communication skills in English (professional level fluency). French and/or Spanish are a strong advantage.
Excellent IT skills including a good command of Word, Excel and Powerpoint; and ideally, experience with content management systems.
Good command of InDesign and Photoshop.
Interest in social media.
Excellent social skills and ability to multi-task. Strong ability to work independently, meticulously and in a structured way. Very good organisational and time-management skills, ability to meet deadlines.
Desire to acquire experience working in a multicultural, inclusive environment and interest in the work of a human rights NGO.